Serving Size: 4
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red pepper
15 oz low-sodium pinto beans
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
1 cup cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
2 ripe, fresh avocados (halved, pitted, peeled, sliced)
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 Tbsp chopped shallots
¼ cup low-sodium salsa verde
2 egg whites
Optional: cilantro for garnish
- Heat 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute until soft. Then add the red pepper and continue to cook over medium low heat until softened.
- Add the pinto beans, chili powder, and cumin to the skillet. Cook briefly to warm the beans, then cover the skillet and turn off the burner.
- Chop the tomatoes and 1 ½ avocados into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- To make the avocado crema, combine the remaining ½ avocado along with the almond milk, shallot, and salsa verde in a blender. Process to combine well.
- In a small bowl, scramble together the eggs and egg whites. In a clean skillet, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and cook eggs over medium low heat to make scrambled eggs.
- Divide the bean mixture among four plates. Top with cherry tomatoes, avocado pieces, and scrambled egg. Drizzle each plate with avocado crema.